Deadline for submitting papers, posters and active sessions:
15 March, 31 March, 15 April 15 May 2022
Deadline for submitting abstracts to PhD symposium:
15 April 15 May
Notification of acceptance:
28 April, 22 May 2022
Submission of camera-ready papers:
3 19 June, 2022
Submission types and guidelines
Authors are invited to submit high-quality manuscripts reporting original unpublished research and recent developments in the topics related to the scope of the conference (see below). All papers will be double blind peer reviewed by Programme Committee members.There are three different paper submission categories:
- Research and theory papers
- Best practice papers / country reports
- Work in progress / discussion papers
Alternatively, the authors may submit short formats for knowledge sharing activities:
- Poster: 2 pages describing a poster presented in A0-A1 format in the conference lobby
- Workshop: 2 pages describing the target group and content a practical activity lasting 45-90 minutes in a computer lab
- Demonstration: 2 pages describing a live demonstration of a software or an online course (15 min max)
- Synergy session: 2 pages describing a 30-minute roundtable, panel discussion or other form of synergy building activity
- Training session: 2 pages describing the target group and content of a hands-on training activity
The papers will be submitted through EasyChair:
As the papers will be double blind peer reviewed, the authors should leave their names and affiliations blank in the submission, and take care to avoid details in the article that could be used to identify the authors. These include institution information, specific funding information and clear self-citations.Accepted papers will be included in the EDEN2022 local proceedings. Selected top quality papers will be published in the Springer Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS) series. Authors will also have the possibility to extend their work and publish it in the EURODL online journal. The formatting of all types of submissions should follow the guidelines and templates provided by Springer (direct link for downloading the MS Word template is here).
Decisions on acceptance will be based on originality, innovation and scholarly quality of contribution, on the proposal’s relevance to the conference themes, further the proven experience of the author(s). Contributions not matching the conference themes will meanwhile also be considered if they bring new knowledge and benefit to delegates. The reviewers and the program committee will make the final decision as to the format which will be assigned to the accepted submissions in order to ensure appropriate conference experience and structure.
In previous years, the book of proceedings from EDEN annual conference has been published on the conference web site, which reduced the researchers’ motivation of presenting high-quality research on the conference. This year, the selected best papers (up to 30% full research papers submitted to EDEN Annual Conference 2022) will be accepted for publishing in a post-conference issue of Springer CCIS series, indexed by Scopus and to be submitted for indexing in Web of Science. The Steering Committee of EDEN Annual Conference 2022 hopes that this news will increase the number of high-quality submissions by EDEN community. The full papers that will not be selected for inclusion in Springer volume, as well as the short contributions will be published in an open-access online volume of CEUR-WS series.
The tradition of awarding the EDEN Best Research Paper will be continued. An award for the Young Scholars’ Best Paper may also be issued, subject to receiving submissions of significant quality in this category.
- Digital ecosystem for education: visions, issues, innovative practice, case studies
- The evolution of online and distance learning (ODL, ODeL, blended, hybrid, hyflex)
- The transformation of face-to-face teaching, through online, to blended learning
- Digital transformation in educational organisations: redefining “the new normal”
- Best practices for transitioning from emergency remote teaching to next-gen online learning
- Digital competence of educators and learners, digital literacy, digital citizenship
- Diversity and social inclusion in higher education
- Ongoing developments in the continued adoption of Artificial Intelligence
- Methodological advances (microlearning, social-emotional learning, gamification, experiential learning)
- Health and wellness in online education
- Digital learning, teaching and assessment
- Digital STEM and STEAM education
- Topics related to the EU Digital Education Action Plan (2021-2027)
- Application of micro-credentials and alternative digital credentials in higher education
- Reflections on the resilience of the education community during the pandemic – well being of teachers and students in online environment
- Evolution of online: Has online education finally been accepted as equal to face-to-face education?
The EDEN 2022 PhD Symposium Tallin will be organized in the frame of the conference. The Symposium, held in previous years in Barcelona (2018), Bruges (2019), Dublin (2019), Timisoara (2020), Lisbon (2020) and Madrid (2021) has been designed to foster the exchange of experiences and knowledge among doctoral students conducting research in the area of technology enhanced online, digital, open and distance learning, and provides a valuable forum for the advancement of doctoral research. The Symposium is led by a panel of international experts.
EDEN Best Research Paper Award
EDEN Best Research Paper Award competition is based on evaluation results on submission papers presented to the Annual Conference that follow five standard evaluation criteria:
- The paper deals with a research question.
- Rigorous examination/research methods are applied.
- Findings, results and outcomes are convincingly presented and critically examined.
- Conclusions are thoroughly discussed (including applicability, transferability, and further research.
- Literature is reviewed against state of the art.
The composition of the jury to the EDEN Best Research Paper Award (EDEN BRPA) is the following:
• Albert Sangrá Morer (Chair of the Jury), Professor in Education & Academic Director of the UNESCO Chair in Education and Technology for Social Change, Open University of Catalunya (UOC).
• Donatella Persico, Research Director at the Institute for Educational Technology of the Italian National Research Council (CNR).
• Sirje Virkus, Professor, Head of the Study Area of Information Sciences, Tallinn University.
The decision on the winner of the EDEN Best Research Paper Award will be announced on June 21st at the EDEN Annual Conference in Tallinn, Estonia.